birding-aus

Newcastle.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Newcastle.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:05:01 +1100
Hi all,

Yesterday (Thurs. 13 Th.), Colin Scouler, Bob Way and I birded some places
around Newcastle (NSW)
Firstly we visited Ash Is. to check out the wader
numbers recently reported by Alan Morris, if anything there was even more,
about 100 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, possibly up to 60 Marsh Sandpipers (I
counted 35 in one group), good numbers of Curlew Sandpipers and about 10
Golden Plovers. In contrast there were only 3 or 4 Greenshanks and a few
Red-necked Stints.

Deepwater waders were also there in numbers, All three species of Egrets and
White-faced Herons were well represented. Only one Cattle Egret however.
Heaps of Black-winged Stilts and Lapwings.

There were 2 Caspian Terns and 2 Gull-billed Terns, one in full (black
naped) breeding plumage and the other in non breeding attire. This struck us
as rather strange, obviously not a pair! A single Nankeen Night Heron flew
over.

The nicest birding however was in the rainforest regeneration area as you
first arrive on the Is. Two, possibly three Tawny Grassbirds calling loudly
and indulging in an aerial chase and an adult and immature Horsfield's
Bronze Cuckoo at the same location as the Grassbirds.

The tide was totally wrong at Stockton Bridge, Most waders we saw were there
were miles away across the mud. Close in however was a Grey Plover feeding
with 2 Ruddy Turnstones. Obviously the "bird of the day"!

On the way back to Sydney we stopped at Pourmalong Nature Reserve
(previously known as Cedar Hill Drive Swamp). There were 15 Glossy Ibis and
two White-winged Trillers. Then a Little Eagle flew over, a fitting end to
the day, we thought.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.