birding-aus

*Pelaero and the Her~mits*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Pelaero and the Her~mits*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:38:33 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I was just wondering how many managed to see
Chichester David's special on the great Ozbeeb last
night? 8pm on channel 2 here in Oz? I think it was
called "Taking the plunge" nice title that eh ..  :^D

Anyways, I noted that the doco. was mainly centred on
the diving skills of Pelicans ..... and the fact they
create a sort of sonic boom when they hit the water at
more then break neck speed close to fish, this sonic
boom then stuns the fish? what I was wondering was, is
it the air compression within the pelicans crop that
creates the "Boom" or further up my "little" friends
beaks where a suction cap? sink plunger effect must
taking place?

John A. Gamblin celebrating 100 years of Ozbeeb radio.

Goes off singing:

Lets take a look behind,
And see what we can find,
This year has gone for everyone,