birding-aus

Miner hybrids

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Miner hybrids
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 05:45:20 +1100
I was with a bunch of herp people over the last weekend in the vicinity of
Glenmorgan, W of Dalby in southern Queensland. I noted a number of what
seemed to be Noisy Miners, some of which showed characteristics suggesting
they had accumulated a few White-rumped Miner genes.

One bird appeared to be a Noisy in all plumage features I noted, but was
calling in a way which both Terry Reis and I thought more typical of
White-rumped Miner. That is, it had the sort of far-off, wimpy character
that I have always thought typical of White-rump. All the miners seen in the
vicinity looked like Noisys.

Another bird was seen very well. It had general characteristics of Noisy
Miner, including a typical Noisy head pattern and a dusky line on the
throat. But its uppertail coverts were almost white, perhaps not quite as
white as in a typical White-rump, but much closer to that than to the grey
of a typical Noisy. This was at the crossing of the Cobblegum Ck on the
Myall Park Rd, WGS84 27s20517 149e66725. The other miners in the vicinity
all had Noisy type head patterns, not that I saw many.

I saw a couple of other birds in flight which appeared similar to the latter
example.

I was first shown hybrid Miners by Doug Dow in the vicinity of Meandarra,
back in the early 1970s. I have since seen a few elswhere to the west of
Dalby.

Chris Corben

www.hoarybat.com