birding-aus

More on Virus

Subject: More on Virus
From: Rory Poulter - Atlas Project <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:44:14 +1100
I am sorry to here so many people affected by the latest virus outbreak.
For the last 3 years my Atlas email address receives between 1 and 3
viruses a day. The last few weeks this has been between 5 and 8 viruses a
day. Tuesday saw a record 8 viruses. I did receive a virus from Tony
Russell and Gloria Glass this week, which is the first time I have
recognised email names associated with viruses.
The Birds Australia network was infected by a virus Wednesday last week and
was shut down most of the day to clear the virus out.
As well I receive each day between 5 and 10 SPAM mail, financial
advertisements, health and sex aids, pornographic sites, mostly from
America. I have no interest in any of this material and immediately gets
deleted.
The Atlas email address is used widely by a large number of people so it
was odds on that it would eventually get onto worldwide mailing lists. For
the moment unwanted mail is a minor nuisance, but eventually I may have to
replace the Atlas email address with a new address.
I have had no feedback from any person saying they have recieved a virus
from me. My simple practices of deleting unwanted attachments immediately
seems to have prevented any viruses eminating from my computer. When I
delete a virus from my email attachments folder I do not highlight it with
the mouse, I highlight the file above it and then arrow down to the virus
file and delete. This ensures I do not open the file accidently.
No doubt viruses and SPAM is an increasing problem. My concern is that one
day a virus will automatically infect my computer without me initiating it.

Rory

Rory Poulter
Database Custodian

Birds Australia Atlas Project
415 Riversdale Road
Hawthorn East,  Victoria, Australia  3123
Ph (03) 9882 2622
Fax (03) 9882 2677
www.birdsaustralia.com.au

Please support the Endangered Species Appeal by donating at ay branch of
the National Australia Bank, by phoning 1300 730 075 or on line at
www.birdsaustralia.com.au