birding-aus

Flat Rock

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Flat Rock
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:06:56 +1000
Three of us headed south of the border into Northern NSW yesterday.  We were
looking for seabirds, deliberately timing our visit with a strong (I am the
master of understatement) southerly.

Our first stop was Flat Rock, just north of Ballina.  The wind was so strong
that the telescope was packed away after the wind threatened to blow the
scope, attached to the tripod, onto the wet sand.  The Bureau of Meteorology
forecast winds to 35 knots and they state that gusts may be up to 40%
higher.  Tell me about it!

The most interesting thing, and the reason for this message, was the large
number of Sanderlings sheltering among the rocks.

Fingal Heads (further North and just in NSW) was even worse (wind wise) and
at one stage we were forced to abandon all birding and concentrate on not
being blown off the headland.  The number of Little Terns sheltering on the
beach to the north was noteworthy.

Terry Pacey
27°57'02"S  153°24'12"E
Gold Coast