birding-aus

Mail Problems

Subject: Mail Problems
From: Kiran Krishna <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:30:34 +1100 (EST)
Better still. Switch to Pine. That is the only thing protecting me from
all of the recent email viruses.

Kiran

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001  wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> There are a few members who have unfortunately picked up one or another of
> the nasty v-i-r-u-s-e-s going around.  There are extensive filters in place
> to prevent most of these from being sent out via the mailing list itself, as
> well as  message size limit of 20Kb that usually blocks these sort of
> messages (and many commercial ones).
>
> A number of members have received infected mail recently - that's because
> infected systems usually reply automatically to messages received (or to a
> random selection of these).  Birding-aus is set up so that when a message is
> REPLIED to the reply goes to the ORIGINAL sender and not the mailing list.  I
> can't change that - it is a condition of the host, Vicnet.
>
> So ...
> 1. member xyz sends a message to the list
>
> 2. it is received by member abc whose system is already infected with a worm
> or other v-i-r-u-s
>
> 3. the v-i-r-u-s forces an automatic reply (to the original sender) that
> includes an attachment.  This attachment usually has a file extension that
> tricks windows into opening the attachment, and PRESTO!  Another person's
> computer is infected.
>
> How do you stay safe?  Set up your email program and/or web browser to NEVER
> open attachments, and make sure you never open any manually unless (A) you
> know who they come from and more importantly (B) you know WHAT the attachment
> is and WHY it has been sent to you.
>
> A good policy is to NEVER open an attachment without doble-checking its
> source and validity with the sender.
>
> And some people wonder why we frown on attachments on this mailing list......
>

> Russell Woodford
> List Administrator
> Birding-Aus is on the Web at
> www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message
> "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line)

Kiran Krishna
3rd yr physics
(Falkiner High Energy Physics)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest
political end.
                - Lord Acton

...Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by
man.
                - F.A. von Hayek, The Road to Serfdom

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/hienergy

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~kiran