birding-aus

southern light

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: southern light
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:30:44 +1100
Peter Waanders wrote:
> Yesterday coming home (Waikerie, SA) around 11 pm myself and my wife
> witnessed what can only be explained to be a rare occurrence of the
> southern light, or aurora australis. Part of the night sky was
> orange-reddish, curtain-drape shaped, and constantly changing in shape,
> color and density.

Lucky you, Peter!  Here's the report from SpaceWeather.com:

   POWERFUL GEOSTORM: A powerful geomagnetic storm raged for nearly
   15 hours after a pair of coronal mass ejections swept past our planet
   around 0530 UT on Saturday, Nov. 24th. In the United States sky watchers
   reported auroras as far south as Arkansas. Observers in Australia have
   also spotted auroras -- so this storm has triggered Southern Lights
   as well! [photo gallery]
   http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_24nov01.html

   Geomagnetic disturbances are subsiding. Nevertheless, the solar wind
   speed remains very high. If the interplanetary magnetic field near
   Earth tilts south, auroral activity could intensify again. Sky watchers
   located at magnetic latitudes greater than ~55 degrees should remain
   alert for auroras after nightfall -- and especially around local
   midnight.