birding-aus

Southern Giant Petrel - English names

Subject: Southern Giant Petrel - English names
From: scouler <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 08:41:28 +1000
Hello Anthony,

The name "goose" was given to the Southern Giant Petrel by 18th century sailors, such as those on Cook's voyages, apparently because of a fancied resemblance to the domestic bird. The derivation of "Mother Carey" is in dispute. One theory traces it to the phrase "Mater Cara", Latin for "Dear Mother" i.e. the Virgin Mary. Others ascribe it to "some unknown hag of that name"(Mother Carey), or a nautical corruption of a Spanish or an Italian name. The name "Nelly" was given to the SGP especially by whalers, but the source is unknown. "Stinker" and "stinkpot" were names by which the SGP was known to sealers and whalers, from its habit of regurgitating foul-smelling material and spitting it at intruders. I could find no mention of the name "bone-shaker" except in HANZAB, but I would hazard a guess that it might refer to the SGP's feeding behaviour, e.g. on  seal carcasses.