birding-aus

White-throated Needletails

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Mike Tarburton" <>
Subject: White-throated Needletails
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:55:13 +1000
The sky over Abberton was teeming with White-throated Needletails
this-morning, Wednesday 21st November - 27deg 34 S, 152 deg 08 E.

No sign of rain or fast-moving fronts, just a clear blue sky filled with
swifts describing great arcs in the sky with individual birds zooming low
over the verandah from time to time, whooshing by at speed, showing their
white undertails and throats as they swept up and past us.

Certainly at least 100 birds. Impossible to estimate more accurately - could
have been twice as many up there.

Channel-billed Cuckoos cruising by around the tree-tops, playing their games
with Torresian Crows;  Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos noisily calling from the
top of a dead tree that we call 'the cuckoo tree' - (we've had eleven cuckoo
spp in it, Oriental, Pallid, Fan-tailed, Brush, Horsfield's Bronze, Shining
Bronze, Little Bronze, Black-eared, Koel, Channel-billed and Pheasant
Coucal).

Another Black Falcon performed close overhead yesterday, at the third
different location in the last few weeks. I guess they're obvious at this
time of year, so much more falcon-like in flight than the Brown, or even the
Peregrine for my money.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056