birding-aus

South Coast Birds (NSW)

Subject: South Coast Birds (NSW)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:56:53 +1000
During a mostly non-birding weekend to the south coast the birding
highlight was a half hour spent on Sunday afternoon in Monga National Park
under a wet, stormy sky. This is truely a beautiful part of the world with
a profusion of large tree ferns. I had my first unobstructed close up view
of an Olive Whistler, a male. A pair of Red-browed Treecreepers were
nearby. Many Rufous Fantails danced along the length of the track. I was
successful in drawing a male Eastern Whipbird out from cover by making
squeaking noises in addition to the Scrubwrens and Thornbills. A Superb
Lyrebird was still in full song close by. Other birds seen or heard
included Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, a male Gang-gang Cockatoo,
Australian King-Parrots and Fan-tailed Cuckoos.

A Common Koel called all day and night by the Tomaga River, south of
Bateman's Bay.

A brief walk on Saturday morning through the Burrewarra Point Reserve at
Guerilla Bay revealed Satin Bowerbirds, Eastern Whipbirds, Variegated
Fairy-wrens (right on the point), a pair of Mistletoebirds, a female Glossy
Black-Cockatoo with a continuously calling young bird (the female
regurgitated food as i watched), a pair of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, a
soaring  Whistling Kite, and many large Lace Monitors.

Cheers

Marnix
NGUNNAWAL  ACT