birding-aus

Ash Island Ponds

To: <>
Subject: Ash Island Ponds
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:38:38 +1100
Hi Birders,
During this last week, I had two visits to the Ash Island Ponds and once again good birding was the order of the day. On Tuesday 13/11/01 my visit was at low tide in the late afternoon, while on Friday 16/11/01 the visit was at high tide in late morning. The Following birds were sighted.

Black Swan    4,5
Grey Teal    484,69
Chestnut Teal    348,6
Pelican    1,3
Little Black Cormorant    1,2
Little Pied Cormorant    1,3
White-faced Heron    29,45
Great Egret    2,3
Intermediate Egret    4,10
Little Egret    4,4
Australian White Ibis    11,10
Straw-necked Ibis    3,1
Purple Swamphen    3,1
Buff-banded rail    1,0
Spotted Crake    1,1
Common Greenshank    18,20
Marsh Sandpiper    21,48
Curlew Sandpiper    37,6
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper    124,136
Red-necked Stint    39,20
Marsh Lapwing    22,16
Red-capped Plover    0,4
Red-kneed Dotterel    1,1
Silver Gull    60,1
White-winged Black Tern    0,.2
Whiskered tern    12,0
Together with the usual White-fronted Chats, Mangrove Gerygones, Reed warblers, Tawny Grassbirds, Pipits & Cisticolas, plus Bar-shouldered Dove, Swamp Harriers, Brown Falcons, Sea-eagle, Kestrel, Black-shouldered Ktes and Whistling Kite.
The White-winged Black terns were in non-breeding plumage while the Whiskered Terns were half and half.

Alan Morris