birding-aus

Dive-bombing crows

To: <>
Subject: Dive-bombing crows
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:17:14 +1100
Ruth wrote:

"This morning while out walking I watched a pair of crows 'dive-bomb' another walker. There was a crow's nest in the tree. I am well aware magpies do this but CROWS?
Has anyone seen this happen with crows? "

Perhaps I am a threatening-looking person - because I have been dive-bombed by a number of species, from Grey Fantails to Pied Currawongs. The most savage bird attack I ever experienced came from a pair of Spur-winged Plovers who seemed to feel that only my speedy demise would satisfy them.

The poor ole Maggies have a bad reputation because their bombing is mainly done in suburbia and involves people who are not particularly "bird-friendly", whereas the attacks by many other species occur in wooded or less human-populated areas and usually only involve birders who accept this behaviour as the natural response it is.

Regards, Judie Peet
(The only thing certain about birdwatching is that nothing's certain)