birding-aus

*Calcium needs and requirements*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Calcium needs and requirements*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:33:48 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I've been doing a bit more with the "H²olly Homes"
book project and need a definitive on this question?

Some Australian birds have a greater need for calcium
then other Australian birds ..... should we think
about other birds producing more eggshells then they
possibly need to continue on their species?

Perhaps, those that nest near/close to say my local
"Little Ravens", do so knowing they will lose one or
two eggshells to their neighbours, the Little Ravens
.... they know this fact and therefore create one or
two incomplete eggs as calcium food for the Crows?
whilst defending furiously their fertile eggs.

I've seen this occur between "Little Ravens and Magpie
Larks" quite often.

Would anyone like to comment please ......

John A. Gamblin.

("holey leg" Tones ..... shells be right mate, sorry
must be painful)