birding-aus

A national twitchathon?

Subject: A national twitchathon?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:31:14 +1100

For those regular twitchathoners.

There was discussion by the Whacked Out Woodswallows while driving back from Newcastle (we did 1600 km together - my other team members did an extra 600 and 800 respectively to initially get to my place) about how the twitchathon could be made into a national race.

Firstly, a question.  Other than NSW and Victoria are there any regular twitchathon participants in the other states?  I thought there was in Queensland last year, at least.

The greatest problem in making it a national  race is how do you compare totals in the different states.  It could be argued that teams in far north Queensland have an advantage because of the greater number of species available in a relatively small area.  I vaguely recall there being discussion about this in the past.  It was decided, by my team, that one possible way around this is to average the winning score of past twitchathons in each state.  The national winner is the team that exceeds their state average by the greatest percentage point.

I'm no mathematician.  Has anyone a better way of doing this?  Is this something that the twitchathon organisers want to do?  I think it would add an extra dimension, particularly for those with a competitive streak.  And let's face it, there are some competitive teams out there.

Cheers

David Geering
Head Woodswallow

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.