birding-aus

tame birds

To: "robert drummond" <>, <>
Subject: tame birds
From: "Graham" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:18:57 +1100
G'day Birders,
                I'm sure there are many places with tame wildlife, and even a few with wild wildlife. When I was working as an eco-tour guide, I regularly took overseas tourists to Euroka Clearing, in the Blue Mountain National Park, (Glenbrook section) west of Sydney.

One of the highlights of this spot was the Kookaburras, which the Americans all loved, but their habit of sharing dinner with us was a little disturbing for some (especially the Japanese). The usual feeding method was to dive down and take food off the table (or off a hot bar-b-que), which was O.k. if they didn't make too much of a mess. The problem was when they flew threw at speed and took what ever it was that you had in your hand (or on your fork). This was especially a problem when you almost had 'your' food in your mouth. Chicken was their favourite, but anything would do.

At least the Satin bowerbirds only at the crackers, and not the cheese.

Cheers,
Graham Turner

Lower Blue Mountains