birding-aus

Previous records of Little Bittern in Brisbane

To: <>
Subject: Previous records of Little Bittern in Brisbane
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:44:38 -0800
Hello all,

Tom Tarrant's excellent pictures of Little Bitterns at Sherwood Arboretum,
Brisbane, put to shame my own pre-digital-video shots of a juvenile bird seen at
the same place in 1991.

Well done Tom!

However, Tom's statement (in the caption accompanying the images) that it is
thought that this species is usually encountered in this area in October and
November needs a bit of expanding.

The following records have been taken from the Birds Queensland news letter
Member's Sightings section.
Mostly they are from SE Queensland but there are a couple of entries from other
parts of Queensland.
I can't vouce for the accuracy of the reports or the accuracy of the spelling
but simply provide them for the interest of those wanting to find this species.

As can be seen, this species has been reported in Queensland from August to May.
Also, it can be seen that there is a variety of locations worth checking during
the 'season'.

Little Bittern - 18/12/83 at Kipper-ring Swamp -  A. Palliser(?)

Little Bittern - 29/12/83 at Lytton Swamp -  A. Palliser(?)

Little Bittern - 16-17/12/84 at Minden (2) - Hines, K.Hughes

Little Bittern -16.5.87 Toowong -  M West

Little Bittern - 1/1/86 Kippa-ring swamp - G.Leach/H Hines

Little Bittern - 27.09.86 Moreton Island - Peter Berry

Little Bittern (immature)  - 1.11.86 Mt.Coot-tha  Bot Gardens -  G.Anderson .

Little Bittern (melanistic) - 31.3.89 Cubberla Ck Kenmore  - G.Leach/H Hines(?)

Little Bittern - 18.8.90 Auchenflower - I Venables

Little Bittern - 16.3.91 Sherwood Arboretum - J G Groom

Little Bittern - 2.2.92  Buckley's Hole Bribie Is - T Tarrant & B James (seen
several times since 11.91)

Little Bittern -14.3.92  Sandgate Lagoon - E Townsend

Little Bittern - 24.5.92   Redcliffe Airfield -  J Noyce   1 female

Little Bittern - 23.1.94  Kedron Brook, Grange - P Comben

Little Bittern - 29.10.94   Sherwood Arboretum - D Beck, A&S Keates

Little Bittern - 31.12.94  Sherwood Arboretum,- P Cutcliffe, a male and female

Little Bittern - 3.12.95  Moggill Creek, Brisbane - D Beck

Little Bittern - 7/1/99  Brigalow RS. 48k N of Theodore - R Kernot/M Jeffrey

Little Bittern - 3/1/99  Crocodile Farm, Cairns NEQ - D Magarry,  Regular since
November

Little Bittern - 22/10/00  Sherwood Forest Park SEQ - N Strode / D Beck

Little Bittern - 28/4/01 nr. Kilcoy SEQ - C Doolan

In conclusion, congratulations Andrew.
However, I must tell you that I found the Little Bittern at Sherwood on my very
first attempt.
Doesn't that sort of thing make you mad??!!

Cheers,
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland