birding-aus

Painted Snipe @ Banyule 29th Oct.

Subject: Painted Snipe @ Banyule 29th Oct.
From: Celia & Russell Browne <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:30:56 +1000
The Painted Snipe was seen again today at 1:45 PM in the grubby pool,
just behind the squashed plastic bottle which is behind the tennis ball,
which is behind the green plastic bag!  In fact, in EXACTLY the same
place as yesterday.  She was, however, exceedingly difficult to see & if
I hadn't known where to look I would never have been able to find her.
She was crouched right down & there was little movement, just a few
preens & small head movement.  A light shower caused her to shake her
head, she then "hunkered" down again.  She was still there when I left
the area at 2:30 PM after a walk to the wetlands & back.  Seems this is
a popular daytime "roost".  Celia