birding-aus

Red-lored Whistlers patchy in NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red-lored Whistlers patchy in NSW
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:57:06 +0930
G'day Birdos,
Because of rain I will not go out to my mallee block 'til next week, my observations of Red-lored Whistlers is, I always find them in mallee with Spinifex ( Triodia irritans) under-storey,(and also Beyeria leschenaultii) and usually Striated Grasswrens are not far away, whereas Gilberts Whistlers are found in all types of vegetation and over a much greater area, in fact recently I have spent some time on the floodplains of The Murray and Gilberts were quite common.Their calls are similar but when I hear a Red-lored it has that "special note" but I usually have a look to be sure.
I don't usually use playback but when I do some Black-eared Miner searches for the Black-eared Miner Recovery Group I have found that Gilberts often respond to the Miner tape, I have never attracted a Red-lored even though a lot of time is spent in "their areas", which of course is prime BEM territory.
I do a lot of recording bird calls and I must admit that a couple of times I have recorded Red-lored and played back to them and they respond very well.
So, Michael, I hope this info will help with your studies.

Doug Holly