birding-aus

Ravens and Swallows in the CBD (but no falcons!) :(

To: "" <>
Subject: Ravens and Swallows in the CBD (but no falcons!) :(
From: "Reitzin, Amanda" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:41:32 +1000
Desperate to spot a peregrine falcon in the Sydney CBD (as I'm told there is
a breeding pair that has been seen frequently lately), I've spent mornings
and afternoons with my head skyward on my way to and from my workplace at
Wynyard in the hope of catching my first glimpse of this most elusive
raptor.

I haven't managed a sighting yet, (although there was a split second that I
may have seen a hobby down near Circular Quay -- thankyou to my official
spotter for pointing this one out to me!), however, what I have seen are a
multitude of Australian Ravens flapping lazily around from building to
building, in particular congregating on and around the conical tower atop
the Wintergarden building on O'Connell street.

About a week ago, the spotter and myself had noticed dozens of Welcome
Swallows hawking around the spire - are both taking advantage of the bogon
moths that have started to invade Sydney? We speculated the moths may be
attracted to the blue light at the top of the tower. Any thoughts?

Amanda
~ sadly, peregrine-less..... *sigh*