birding-aus

Short visit to Fogg Dam

Subject: Short visit to Fogg Dam
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:52:43 +0930
I had a very short visit to Fogg Dam late this afternoon. The
weather was much cooler than my last visit a couple of weeks ago,
mainly due to the fact that there was a little rain. The birds were
rather more active too. Several Comb-crested Jacanas were on the
road, along with Buff-banded Rails, Crimson Finches and
Lapwings, while  Tawny Grassbirds and Golden-headed Cisticolas
were busy feeding right alongside. White-browed Crakes were out
in the open, with a medium sized Freshwater Crocodile lurking
nearby, making big splashes in the water from time to time as it
opened its jaws in sudden movements. Along the main road near
the Fogg Dam turn-off Little Curlews, Australian Pratincoles and
Oriental Plovers were feeding in the short grass. A little further on a
Black-breasted Buzzard was being chased by Blue-faced
Honeyeaters.
The only disappointment was that some of the trees where I've
seen Mangrove Golden Whistler near the Adelaide River bridge
have been cut down. This makes the 'patch' significantly smaller
and more exposed. I didn't spend any time looking for them
because of the wind and rain, but I hope that the habitat change
doesn't have too much of an affect on them.

Happy birding
Niven