birding-aus

Australasian Bittern-Bulli

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Australasian Bittern-Bulli
From: "Darryl McKay" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:07:08 +1000
Saturday 20th October

Terrill Nordstrom and myself birded on the south coast in extremely windy conditions and managed to see some very good birds.

Our first stop was Lake Wollumboola, Culburra. At the moment the lake is rather full with little exposed mud and low numbers of waders. 3 Pied Oystercatchers, 1 Great Knot. 1 Ruddy Turnstone. 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, 1 Greenshank, Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints. There were no Little Terns but they should arrive within the next couple of weeks.

At Windang there were 19 Little Terns in non-breeding plumage,

A quick visit to Shoalhaven Heads produced an Osprey with my first observation of this species actually catching a fish. I think it has been quite some time since this species has been sighted here. The only other location on the south coast where they can be found that I know of is Lake Conjola.

While carrying out a monthly bird survey at Sandon Point, Bulli, an Australasian Bittern was seen, a new bird for me. We flushed this bird only metres from us and because of the wind it was slow in flight giving great views. I didn't realise that they were so large. This is just inside the County of Cumberland. Also Grey Goshawk, Lewins Rail and a Whimbrel

PS       Grey Toilet Thrushes, beware of the Barren Grounds Bristleheads.

Darryl McKay
Bankstown