birding-aus

Black-tailed Native Hens,Stilts and Avocets

Subject: Black-tailed Native Hens,Stilts and Avocets
From: "Ken Grinter" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:29:59 +0930
As with lots of other locations around Australia, Black-tailed Native Hens are appearing in their hundreds in a number of different locations around Kangaroo Island. Murray's Lagoon, Duck Lagoon and also salt lagoons near Emu Bay where I would not normally expect to see them.
Also on a salt lagoon near Emu Bay on Tuesday there were at least 2000 Banded Stilts, hundreds massed within about 30 metres of where we were standing hidden by a bank of earth, also a few Avocets with them.
Just to make all you people on the North Island jealous yesterday morning I had two Glossy-black Cockatoos feeding on a casuarina tree overhanging my office.

Ken Grinter
Experience Kangaroo Island at night
Alkirna Nocturnal Tours
PO Box 1, American River, SA  5221