birding-aus

Whitenecked Herons/Yellowbilled Spoonbills, Ballarat area

To: Brian Fleming <>, birding <>
Subject: Whitenecked Herons/Yellowbilled Spoonbills, Ballarat area
From: Laurence Living <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:19:19 +1000
 Hi Anthea

In the school holidays I visited the Grampians and was, like you, surprised
to see so many white-necked herons, a rare visitor to the foothills of the
Dandenongs here.

The Grampians recieved more than six inches of rain in September so there
were many wetland areas spreading out of Halls Gap. Most of the agricultural
land was soaked and there were large numbers of waterbirds...... in five
days I saw more than 50 white-necked herons, along with  numbers of
yellow-billed spoonbills, graet egrets, white-faced heron and both common
ibis species.  I encountered three parties of black-tailed native hens [up
to 12 in a group] and there was even a small group [6] on a lake island in
Stawell township.

Obviously the conditions for waterbirds were just right!

Laurie Living