birding-aus

Recording in the Rain

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Recording in the Rain
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:36:47 +1000
Hello Birdos,

I attempted to ignore the rain yesterday and today and did a bit of audio recording and birdwatching in the Lake Cargelligo district. I stopped off at the Lake Cargelligo Sewerage Works just as the rain was about to start. Here I was treated to some spirited singing by very Clamorous Reed-warblers. Other birds present here included 12 Black-tailed Native-hens, Pink-eared Ducks, Mountain Shelducks, Whiskered Tern, White-fronted Chat (with young), Red-necked Avocet (30), Black-winged Stilt, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint, Red-kneed and Red-capped Dotterels and White-winged Fairy-wren.

I then took my chances and headed for Nombinnie Nature Reserve. Despite, or perhaps because of fairly constant drizzling rain I located Red-lored Whistlers in a couple of spots, they were very vocal. I managed to pick up 15 minutes of recordings which were only spoiled by the pitter patter of rain in the background and on the mike. I also managed to get a good ten minutes of Gilbert's Whistler singing. Both species seemed to be happy with the rain! Apart from the rain and the cooler temperatures the big difference between this visit and my previous one a few weeks ago was the big drop-off in numbers of Rufous Whistlers. I suspect that on my previous visit I clashed with the holiday season Rufous Whistler traffic all heading back to Victoria on breeding duties. Shy Heathwrens were also calling well at most spots that I stopped while Southern Scrub-robins were a little quieter than on my previous visits.

I finally gave up any hope of the rain ceasing by about 900 am and headed back towards Griffith. Where I stopped in Yelkin SF (about 20 km South of Lake Cargelligo) Painted Honeyeaters were in good numbers and singing constantly. Unfortunately by this stage the wind had picked up considerably and made recording difficult. An attempt at a 20 minute point count here was met with another solid shower of rain. I figured I'd used up my luck by this stage and so headed home.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW