birding-aus

Whiskered Terns with dark shoulder patches

Subject: Whiskered Terns with dark shoulder patches
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:02:04 +0930
Hi all
I'm after info on the occurrence of dark shoulder patches on
Whiskered Terns - rather like the typical blackish area that's
typical of non-breeding plumage in Black Terns. I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone who's had such sightings. Ideally, I'd like info
on the extent and colour (or tone) of the patch, the age of the bird
(and a little description of other plumage characteristics of the
bird), the time of year and the locality. That's the ideal, however
any info will be well received, however brief.
I've checked HANZAB and unless I missed something (tell me if I
did), it has no useful info on this other than a reference to buff or
light brown markings on some juveniles.
Thanks in advance for the floods of forthcoming information, and
happy birding,
Niven