birding-aus

Hattah-Kulkyne National Park

Subject: Hattah-Kulkyne National Park
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:15:59 +1000
This is from Alastair Smith who has had trouble getting it onto the mailing list:

Following the other recent postings about the Hattah Kulkyne national park, I thought that it would be opportune to add mine. We visited the Park from 30 Sep to 4 Oct and I had a good feeling about the park when, on arrival, we were met by a Major Mitchell's cockatoo in a tree at the visitor's centre. We saw 90 species, including four lifers, the highlight of which was a malleefowl on the Nowingi track. The malleefowl was seemingly unperturbed by our presence and I was able to watch it for some time without binos and then for about 15 minutes with binos and scope before it disappeared into the mallee. I cannot comment on the location of its mound as I thought I had disturbed it enough and didn't go looking for it. While I won't post it here, I have the lat/long for this sighting if anyone is heading that direction and would like to try and find it again.

As with other visitors, we found the black-tail native hens thick on the ground, in flocks of 200-300 birds. Unfortunately we dipped out on some of the smaller mallee birds such as the mallee emu wren and striated grasswren, but not for want of looking and of course there is always next year. It is still frustrating to read that other people saw the bird where we had looked such as the Hattah nature walk that we visited three times!

In all I would recommend a visit, though it will be Pink Lakes for us next year. We camped at Lake Mournpoul and the species list below is from the vicinity of lakes Mournpoul and Hattah, Nowingi track and the Lake Warepil walk:

Emu

Australasian Grebe

Hoary-headed Grebe

Little Pied Cormorant