birding-aus

Cairns Peregrines

To: <>
Subject: Cairns Peregrines
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:26:08 +1000
Hi all,
Over the last few months the story of a pair of nesting Peregrine Falcons on
the Matson Resort hotel in Cairns has been posted. I called in to see how
they were getting on today and there was 2 adults and three youngsters
perched on the balcony of the penthouse where they bred. A letter was sent
to the management congratulating them on their handling of the nesting birds
and as a result they now have brochures on birding in Cairns and a copy of
Wingspan at their tour desk to show to guests interested in bird watching. I
hope the birds hang around for another week as a group of 20 Japanese birdos
are booked in there and are keen to see the birds. Hopefully this story will
help point out to other people in the tourist industry up here that there is
interest in birds and birdwatching and that it contributes significantly to
the economy of the region.

In the last two days I've bumped into 13 birdwatchers on the esplanade. Two
of them were from Canada and staying one block from the esplanade, they had
asked at the hotel for places to birdwatch and were told there was nowhere
around here! I'll be calling in on them!

Cheers,
Keith.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
PO Box 2209, Cairns