birding-aus

Stanbroke Pastoral Co

Subject: Stanbroke Pastoral Co
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:19:56 +1000
Just so no-one is labouring under the wrong impression, my comments
about the route into Diamantina NP via Palparara and Davenport downs do
not in any way relate to Stanbroke's management practices.

I do not see why it should be hard to comprehend that driving along a
road with significant rolling resistance for over an hour through an
area devoid of any interesting topography, that had nothing but grass,
and the occasional magpie, pipit or kestrel is not an enjoyable
experience.

I don't know whether the complete absence of any plants other than grass
was natural or not.  I did see the odd bit of fallen timber.  Bare
patches are not uncommon in the outback - there are often areas pretty
devoid of vegetation, but there are usually clumps of woody plants,
particularly along the drainage lines.

The bottom line, though, is that it is quite valid to comment on the
lack of diversity visible over 360 degrees [horizon to horizon] from a
bit of a rise .

I don't think the vegetative situation was linked to drought, as the
grass cover was fairly thick. I would also note that I didn't see any
stock in that section.