birding-aus

Never Say Never! (boring)

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Never Say Never! (boring)
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:00:25 +1000
Sorry to bore people with this old issue.
As I've said before, and I'm happy for others to disagree, I'd far rather see a Secretary-bird on the plains of Africa than walking the streets of Canberra. (No pun intended.) Likewise, viewing a Northern Shoveler in Europe or an American Green Heron in North America (if I ever went there), would be a lot more relevant to me than finding a Northern Shoveler at Werribee, though I'm happy for those who are excited about that too. I just think that finding e.g. Letter-winged Kites or Orange-bellied Parrots at Werribee is nice and potentially contributes to some useful knowledge. It is all to do with seeing fauna in the context of their environment.
Also to John Harris, yes I have read and suitably giggled at Bill Oddie's book. Notice though that much of the book is satirical.
Philip