birding-aus

Tuscany and hunting

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: Tuscany and hunting
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 15:50:46 -0400
FORWARDED MESSAGE:

Subject :     Tuscany and hunting, your e-mail re Malta refers

Hi David

 I've just arrived back from Tuscany, where the wine is OK, but a lot more expensive and not as good as ours, candidly, but keeping to birding;

I was alarmed to note that there was an almost complete lack of birdsong, even at dawn. I know that it is early autumn, but I stayed way out in the country with all these beautiful woodland areas, the silence in the woods was eerie. In two weeks 22 species was all I could raise, including three lifers. Lots of Jays, Magpies and Carrion/Hooded crows, but the other species were conspicuous by their absence.

This compares with thirty eight species in the UK two years ago, without trying!

Despite the signs "Divieto di Caccia" (Hunting forbidden), I certainly both saw and heard plenty of hunting going on! Maybe that's why birds and birdsong are so few and far between, pehaps. (The birds have got their heads down)....

I think that it is an object lesson for us not to screw up our environment and also not to treat songbirds as an extra item on the menu, which I noted on one menu in Siena.

Good birding

Max