birding-aus

Birds lining nests with ???

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birds lining nests with ???
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:48:28 +1000
Hello all,
 Further to Rob, Doug , John and Vickys' accounts of the use of fur by
enterprising birds for nest lining : when my children were small babies they
were frequently placed in their prams outside in the front garden in the
shade of a large Scribbly Gum , the resident Whiteeared Honeyeaters would
land on the pram handle then hop into the pram  onto the baby tugging pieces
from the fluffy bunny rug covering the child. The kids appeared to accept
this as all part of the fascinating experience of living .. The other
instance of recycling concerned our chestnut -coloured dog a Border Collie
with rather long hair , the Noisy Miners would attempt to remove his hair
whilst he slept in the sun but he wasn't as forgiving as the bunny rugs or
Vicky,s Wallaroo .

Best wishes
Reg