birding-aus

Droughty S.W.Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Droughty S.W.Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 06:14:31 +0930
Hello All,
In spite of the very dry conditions out here we are still seeing lots of birds, perhaps not in the numbers we see in a good year, but certainly all the "usual" residents.Because of the floods further West earlier in the year our water birds haven't reached the numbers that they do in many other years, when they congregate around our creek, bore drains and tanks.However, all the Honeyeaters, Parrots and Cockatoos are here, and I hear the Major Mitchell's off and on all day. I love the way they chatter and call to find each other  The Crimson-wings seem to have a more brilliant red on their wings this year[maybe my imagination].The Pardalotes are nesting in the 50 cent size hole in the wall of the cottage again. My 4 year old grandson, and I have had great fun watching the bits of nest building material being taken in.
The variety of Raptors have been just absolutely wonderful in the last 6 to 8 weeks, with not just a solitary sighting but, probably nearly daily sightings of most.To-day Ian watched a Swamp Harrier for some time and we are seeing Little Eagles,Black-breasted Buzzards and  the Australian Hobby on a regular basis.Last week we saw a Square-tailed Kite out in the Mulga/Creek country.The Whistling Kites gave us a wonderful view of them as they flew up and down the creek while we were having lunch out there a few Sundays ago.The Grey Falcon is now being seen again after not having seen it for some time and it's back in the same area as previous years. Is it nesting here?
The Rainbow Bee-eaters have been here for at least 3 weeks, which is fairly early for them out here as it's usually the last week in September or early October that they are first seen, and we heard a Dollar Bird last week on the Warrego River, which is also very early for them as we used to call them Melbourne Cup birds as they arrived around that time.
Great excitement to-day with a few of us watching a Latham's Snipe  on the edge of a bore drain which has lots of clumpy grass around the edges.It wouldn't have been 10 metres from the shearers quarters and we had a great view for about 40 minutes until a Butcherbird came on the scene.Can't wait to see if it comes back to-morrow.We must be on the very Western edge of it's range judging by the map in P.&K.
We have some visitors from overseas here at the moment and after hearing the Kookas and Brolgas just about every day of the year, they have now decided that they are not going to perform.I could just about set my watch by the evening cacophony of the Kooka's [usually].
Cheerio,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490