birding-aus

Common Sandpiper at Bendigo

Subject: Common Sandpiper at Bendigo
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:17:07 +1100

G'day folks,

This morning, whilst observing 4 Baillon's Crakes and 2 Australian Spotted
Crakes at the Bendigo Sewage Farm, I recorded another personal 'tick' - a third
record for the Bendigo district of Common Sandpiper.  I was watching a Baillon's
Crake at very close range when a very bouyant and rapid flying bird appeared out
of nowhere.  At first, I thought it was another Baillon's Crake coming from
across the water, but then thought since when has a crake learnt to fly so well!
The sandpiper flew straight at the crake, virtually swopping it before sharply
banking and perching prominently on a stump.  The other interesting thing is
that the sandpiper kept up a constant loud three-syllabled call, whilst perched
and flying.  It stayed for about 30 seconds or so then flew a large circle over
the swamp and headed south.  A lovely little bird.

Regards,

Chris Tzaros