birding-aus

Channelbilled Cuckoos

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Channelbilled Cuckoos
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:49:23 +1000
Hello

Near my home we usually have the interest of the presence of a number of
CBC's each year ,probably due to the large populations of Aust. Magpies and
Pied Currawongs resident in the district .This was the case two years age
and I wasn't surprised to hear the cacophony of squawks and shrieks coming
from a stand of Euc. sieberii down on the corner .There was a large twiggy,
Magpies nest (which incorporated two blue wire coathangers ) in one of
tallest trees about twenty metres up. The racket went on for some time so I
got my bins and walked the hundred metres to the corner to have a look at
the situation. As I did so two CB's flew out from the trees with the usual
escort of angry Miners. Currawongs,Wattlebirds, Magpies etc. I noticed
something glistening on the lawn on the lawn on the opposite side of the
road and on examination found it was a freshly  smashed large, bluey-green
egg with brown blotches, beside it was a fully developed chick which   guess
,had been on the verge of hatching . I crossed the road approached the tree
which held the Magpies nest and there on the ground on the leaf-litter was
another egg the same as the previous one but unbroken.
I watched the nest carefully for some weeks but although the birds occupied
the nest no progeny of any kind were seen------very frustrating!
They are so much a feature of our Summer now ........I dont know how we ever
got on without them!!!!!!

Reg