birding-aus

Cocoparra NP and Brobenah Hills

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Cocoparra NP and Brobenah Hills
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:37:58 +1000
Hello Birdos,

Last Saturday I took the opportunity to have another search for Shy Heathwrens at Pulletop NR. Unfortunately I failed again. Incidentally the last record that I have been able to locate for the SH at Pulletop NR is that of Peter Ewin in 1992.

I did however find Shys at two spots in the northern end of Cocoparra NP in the Mailmans Gap area. The habitat here was similar to that above Store Creek where I found the Shys about a month ago with Hill Ti-tree dominant in the understorey. Also in the Mailmans Gap area were an adult Emu with chicks, Black-eared Cuckoo, Pallid Cuckoo (first one I've noticed this season), Double-barred Finch (a bird that I'm finding surprisingly uncommon) and the highlight was nests of both the Brown Treecreeper and the Mallee Ringneck in the same tree within 2 m of each other!

On Sunday I joined the Murrumbidgee Field Naturalists on an outing to the Brobenah Hills which are north-east of Leeton. On a pleasant walk through woodland that was in good condition we recorded about 45 bird species which wasn't bad for the middle of the day. Highlights included Painted Buttonquail, Diamond Firetail, Black-eared Cuckoo, Rufous Songlark and Rainbow Bee-eater. Spring is definitely in the air here in the Griffith area.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW