birding-aus

birds in backyards

Subject: birds in backyards
From: Susan Knowles <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:49:41 +1000
The following is info from Gumnuts.

 Birds In Backyards Breeding Bird Survey

Birds are an important and highly visible part of city life. However while some
native species are becoming more common, others, particularly the smaller
birds, are becoming rarer. In order to preserve these urban bird communities we
need to understand more about their lifestyles so we can include important
components of their environment in our gardens. Birds Australia has established
a Birds In Backyards Project to examine the bird friendliness of our cities.

The first Birds in Backyards community survey looked at the relationships
between larger aggressive birds and smaller natives as well as what aspects of
backyards encourage birds. This project, which took place in October 2000, was
a resounding success.  However, one factor we need to look more closely at in
the spring of 2001 is the importance of urban gardens and parks to nesting
birds.

We are seeking volunteers throughout Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Newcastle and
the Illawarra to be on the look out for nesting birds and to provide
information on the habitat provided by their gardens, parks and local bushland.

If you wish to become involved in the project then please mail the form (below)
to us. If you have any other questions please phone Holly Parsons (02) 42213436
or email

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to register for the Birds in Backyards Breeding Bird Survey

Name:

Address:

Phone:

Email:

Mail form to:
Backyard Birds
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wollongong
Wollongong, NSW, 2522

I would be willing to be contacted by local media for interviews.  Yes/No

--
Susan Knowles