birding-aus

Woggoon NR

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Woggoon NR
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:40:58 +1000
Hello Birdos,

I took a trip up to the wonderful Woggoon NR on the weekend. This little gem is approximately 30 km north of Condobolin in central west NSW. It contains some fairly large areas of old-growth mallee as well as a sprinkling of large ironabarks through the forest. Spinifex development is particularly noticable to such an extent that I couldn't help thinking about Striated Grasswrens. Being much larger than some of the other central NSW mallee nature reserves (such as Pulletop) it should be able to support populations of some of the mallee birds. Unfortunately my birdwatching plans were spoiled by consistent rain on Sunday morning but I managed to locate Gilbert's Whistler and Shy Hylacola at a number of spots in the reserve on the Saturday. It is probably the north-eastern limit of Shy Hylacola distribution.

The impression that I came away with was of a lovely reserve in good condition that could just turn up some interesting fauna. As a taxpayer, I thank you, Alan Morris (regular contributor to the list), who was responsible for its naming and I think for its declaration as a reserve. I look forward to getting back up there sometime.

Other highlights of the weekend were a Superb Parrot north of Condobolin and 3 Black-tailed Native-hens on the Kiacatoo Road, west of Condobolin.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW