birding-aus

Cumberland B.O.C. Outing to Lake Macquarie Region

To: <>
Subject: Cumberland B.O.C. Outing to Lake Macquarie Region
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:58:25 +1000
CUMBERLAND BIRD OBSERVERS CLUB OUTING ON 25 AUGUST 2001 TO LAKE MACQUARIE NSW

Eight members of the CBOC gathered at Cam's Wharf, on the south-east shores of Lake Macquarie for a start of a days birding on a crisp morning that developed into a lovely sunny day.In the first hour 31 species were seen around the Lake foreshore and the adjoining Swamp Mahogany forest land. Highlights included Fantailed Cuckoo, 4 Little Corellas, Variegated Fairy-wrens, a Great Egret, 3 pairs of Golden Whistlers in territorial disputes, and a pair of both Scaly-breasted & Musk Lorikeets.

After morning tea we headed to South Swansea where we spent the next hour & a half walking through the Galgabra Point Reserve, another pocket of Swamp Mahogany and a place where both Regent Honeyaters and Swift Parrots were found in the winter of the year 2000. No such luck this time but we did see a Grey Goshawk, Brown Goshawk, White-breasted Sea-eagle & Whistling Kite.  The latter was harassing the Sea-eagle, two Magpies attacked  the Grey Goshawk and a Spangled Drongo (one of two present) was chasing the Brown Goshawk.Good views were had of  a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Southern Emu-wrens, Yellow Thornbills and New Holland Honeyeaters (White-cheeked Honeyeaters are the common honeyeater here!), while Sitellas and Mistletoebirds although seen were being very elusive, whereas Yellow-faced & Lewin's Honeyeaters were easily located.

We had lunch at the nearby Coon Island Reserve, but as the tide was full, the wader flats were covered over but we did manage to find 3 Red-necked Stints, 2 Pied Oystercatchers, 4 Eastern Curlew , 4 Bar-tailed Godwit and 2 Black-fronted Plover while 2 Caspian Terns were feeding in the shallows. Mangrove Gerygones were active in the mangroves along with Brown Honeyeaters, 40+ Long-billed Corellas were roosting in some pine trees, and Pied Cormorants were present amongst the Pelicans and other cormorants.

Our final stop for the day was at Swansea Heads where we looked across with our telescopes to Moon Island. Here about 3000 prs of Silver Gulls had commenced nesting, a Double-banded Plover in breeding plumage easily stood out, along with at least 3 Turnstones. Fluttering Shearwaters passed the Island in their hundreds and a few Australasian Gannets were located. All up 74 species for this winters day!

Alan Morris, leader