birding-aus

Twitcher for a day

To: <>
Subject: Twitcher for a day
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:11:34 +0800
Well, two days actually, August 17 and 18 of 2001.

Having nothing more urgent to do on those days, I decided to list the
species I saw.  Only a short list and nothing special for you regular
twitchers, but a pleasant enough mixed bag for a non-twitcher like me,
especially as they were all within an easy hour's walk from where I slept on
the night of the 17th.

Little Pied Cormorant           Phalacrocorax melanoleucos
Pied Cormorant                  P. varius
Mountain Duck                   Tadorna tadornoides
Black Duck                      Anas superciliosa
Pied Oystercatcher              Haematopus ostralegus
Banded Lapwing                  Vanellus tricolor
Red-capped Plover               Charadrius ruficapillus
Banded Stilt                    Cladorhynchus leucocephalus
Ruddy Turnstone                 Arenaria interpres
Silver Gull                     Larus novaehollandiae
Caspian Tern                    Hydroprogne caspia
Crested Tern                    Sterna bergii
Spotted Turtledove              Streptopelia chinensis
Laughing Turtledove             S. senegalensis
Galah                           Cacatua roseicapilla
Sacred Kingfisher               Halcyon sancta
Welcome Swallow                 Hirunda neoxena
Redcapped Robin                 Petroica goodenovii
White-browed Scrub-wren         Sericornis frontalis
Singing honeyeater              Lichenostomus virescens
White-fronted Chat              Ephthianura albifrons
Silvereye                       Zosterops lateralis
Australian Raven                Corvus coronoides

No lyrebirds alas, but one can't have everything.

So where was I?  No prizes for the first correct answer, but for
satisfaction of being right.  And if you think there's something fishy about
this message, you are right.  Oh yes, and no person whose name is Vicki
Powys is eligible to identify the location.

Cheers

Syd Curtis