birding-aus

Dr Lainy Day Research

Subject: Dr Lainy Day Research
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:52:08 EDT
I am in the process of writing an eco-guide to Australian wildlife aimed at
the US and European traveler. While researching the book, I visited one of
the empty bowers that resulted from Dr. Day's research. I would like to know
if you have any update on the situation now that the controversy seems to
have died down. By the way, I live about an hour and a half away from Santa
Barbara and so I am close to Dr. Day's research lab in terms of a possible
(unlikely) conversation with her. As an American I feel particularly troubled
by the whole thing, but I also want to get a reasoned understanding of this.
Depending on my final assessment, I may include a comment about this issue in
the book, by way of spotlighting some issues that international ecotravelers
can help or hinder. The guide that showed me the bower had nearly all the
information incorrect in terms of the subject of the research (he thought it
was menopause) which is also of interest to me. As far as I know, I have
gathered more accurate information from the web on the way but not anything
recent. Thank you for any help you can give me on this issue. Hannah Robinson