birding-aus

Cats - 3 (Outback and suburban)

To: <>
Subject: Cats - 3 (Outback and suburban)
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:19:47 +0800
In my "Cats - 2" posting I explained about CONCOM meetings and the Victorian
NP Service's investigation of cat attractants.

Len Smith as host State Director was chairing the Senior Officers' meeting
in Melbourne and had raised the topic of cats.  (This was prior to 1975, so
I reckon that I won't be embarrassing anyone by recounting this little
incident.)

I don't remember now who it was who said, "Mr Chairman, may I ask the
Northern Territory representative through you whether feral cats are a
problem in the interior."

"Indeed they are," came the reply, "We had a blitz on cats in Uluru National
Park recently and  killed 378."

The WA representative: "Mr Chairman, did I hear correctly? Did he say 378?"

Chairman: "Did you say 378?""

NT Rep.: "Yes. That's right, 378."

WA Rep: "Mr Chairman, what a magnificent effort.  Can't we give him a medal
or something.  Over the years I've knocked off 170 in my own backyard in
Perth, but 378 in one operation!  That's tremendous."

Syd Curtis

(Only one more!)