birding-aus

Cats

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cats
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:15:57 +1000
Good afternoon,
Regarding cat trapping and it's effectiveness,we have had terrific success.
A fellow bird watcher has a fantastic cat trap he's made for himself and now us.
We live on 1.5 acres on the Burnett River in suburban Bundaberg.
On many occasions bundles of feathers would be found on the ground around our
 revegetated block.Since the trap has been set we have caught in excess of 20 cats.
A couple of real ferals but most are trespassing moggies.The bait is usually tea leftover
chicken and the like.The cats are taken to the RSPCA and we happily pay the
recommended $5 serender fee.Our attitude is that any true caring cat owner would
check there if their cat is missing for a few days.The RSPCA keeps them for up to a
 week before destroying them.Funny thing is that I don't think we've caught the same cat twice!
We also catch very few now anyway and the avifauna is enhanced in both number of
species and numbers of individual species.
We can all make a difference.
The other interesting thing is that they are all (I think ) males.
Maybe they roam more than females?.
It was said that cats are wary of traps.Those cats must be smarter than our Bundy moggies then !
Cheers,
Bill