birding-aus

1080 a horrorshow

To: birding aus <>
Subject: 1080 a horrorshow
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:47:37 +0800
Michael Norris asked :
> I guess that thread petered out because of the switch to a
> canine - the fox.  But what about the susceptibility to
> 1080/fluroacetate of cats ?

1080 works very well on cats, but .....

Cats generally don't take baits, and almost never will dig up a buried
bait which is a common baiting practice for foxes.

There has been extensive research done on the Peron Peninsula at Shark Bay
about baiting.  They very quickly controlled the foxes and goats using
1080, trapping, the SAS!, and other means including building an electric
fence across the full width of the peninsula.  But they had problems with
the cats.  It seems that cats only resort to the baits (from an aerial
dropping program) during a small period of the year when food is in short
supply.  They are continuing research on how to catch cats.  One trial
that they tried at the Argyle Diamond Mine was a baited cage with a taped
call of kittens!

The SAS?  Apparently as a survival exercise members of the SAS were
dropped into the peninsula and had to survive for about a week.  They were
allowed to kill any feral animals, so they learnt to track the goats,
foxes, cats, etc.