birding-aus

A good day's birding at Colo Heights and Bulga 5th August 2001

To: <>
Subject: A good day's birding at Colo Heights and Bulga 5th August 2001
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:44:57 -0700

Despite not seeing any of the target species during the Regent Honeyeater-Swift Parrot survey weekend, myself and David Mitford, enjoyed a superb day’s birding today along the Putty Rd, between Colo Height and in the Bulga area. This is about 200-km north-west of Sydney, in the Hunter region).

The first highlight for the day, were seeing a few Spotted Quail-thrush along the Putty Rd in 3 separate locations (consisting of a pair, and 2 other individuals) around Colo Heights were a Pacific Baza flew over the road. Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, a Restless Flycatcher and Gang-gang Cockatoos were also heard here.

At Bulga, there were definite early signs of Spring throughout the woodland. Atleast 2 Western Gerygones were calling off Wambo Rd. Also, an adult Black-eared Cuckoo (which appeared to have followed us and allowed David great photo opportunities as it posed in good light), Dusky Woodswallows, several Speckled Warblers pouring out beautiful notes, and a few male Scarlet Honeyeaters singing and showing off on top of trees. Other birds seen beside Wambo Rd included 3 Painted Button-quails, Common Bronzewing, many Red-capped Robins (6-7 pairs atleast), a pair of Hooded Robins, Jacky Winters, Grey-crowned Babblers, several Varied Sittellas, Striped Honeyeaters, several Double-barred Finches and Mistletoebirds. There was both a Pacific Heron and a Yellow-billed Spoonbill in a small dam nearby.

While having lunch at Bulga, we spotted a few raptors overhead near town, including a Little Eagle, Australian Kestrels and a pair of Brown Falcons.

After lunch we moved on along Wallaby Scrub Rd. Along this road we saw a pair of Brown Goshawks (flying over a few Welcome Swallows and Dusky Woodswallows), 3 Wedge-tailed Eagles (displaying), another pair of Brown Falcons, an Australian Hobby, atleast another pair of both Red-capped and Hooded Robins, Jacky Winters, atleast 4 Brown Treecreepers, no less than 12 Diamond Firetails (all 12 adults were feeding together on the ground) and White-winged Choughs.

We never saw any trees in flower around Bulga and I found the number of Honeyeaters quite low like the May survey I did here this year. A few Eucalypts (E. crebra) seen in the area were in bud.

Before leaving Bulga, we were pleased to see 4 White-backed Swallows flying over the bridge crossing the MacDonald River in town (good to see that these beautiful birds have turned up here again).

After leaving Bulga and on our way back home we saw 3 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos fly over the road at Milbrodale and between there and Howes Valley, saw 4 Glossy Black-cockatoos heading to roost.

Edwin Vella