birding-aus

Topknot Pigeons

To: <>
Subject: Topknot Pigeons
From: "Lesley Judge" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 01:50:39 +1000
We have just moved to a rural area just out of Tannum Sands in coastal Central Queensland. Most of the blocks have an abundance of native trees, many of which have been planted by the residents.
(While our area is not really rainforest country, many of the blocks have mini-rainforests and rainforest trees planted on them) We also have an abundance of birdlife including most of the lorikeets and parrots finches, starlings,honeyeaters, plovers and ibises along with an assortment of native ducks and other waterbirds.

What I did find interesting is the abundance of Topknot Pigeons.
We have one which has decided to build a nest in a large bougainvillea stand. We were about to remove the bougainvillea as we wanted to make the garden as native as possible. However, as we started to hack away, we found the Topknot sitting about 3m in the air on a flat nest. She??? has been there now for about a week.

There is enough food for the pigeon, but we were fascinated that it should choose the non-native plant over so many of the native ones.

Can anyone tell me how I can ensure that the pigeon stays as safe as possible?
Any  info on the breeding/nesting process would be appreciated

Regards,
Lesley Judge