birding-aus

1080 poison

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: 1080 poison
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:38:16 +1000
Hello Mike, Frank and others,

There has been some study on this but I can't remember what the results were. I think that there have been a number of studies showing a number of birds having a high tolerance to 1080. Malleefowl are supposed to be highly tolerant to 1080. I can point people in the direction of a few relevant articles which probably have further relevant articles cited therein. I haven't got time at the moment to look for the actual papers. But somebody out there might be able to put their hands on these.

J. C. McIlroy. The sensitivity of Australian animals to 1080 poison. VII. Native and introduced birds. Australian Wildlife Research 12:331-335, 1985. J. C. McIlroy. The sensitivity of Australian animals to 1080 poison IX. Comparisons between the major groups of animals, and the potential danger non-target species face from 1080-poisoning campaigns. Australian Wildlife Research 13:39-48, 1986. D. R. King, W. E. Kirkpatrick, and M. McGrath. The tolerance of Malleefowl Leipoa ocellata to 1080. Emu 96 (3):198-201, 1996.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW.