birding-aus

Winter? S.W.Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Winter? S.W.Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:53:07 +0930
Hello Everyone,
So far this year we have had no winter.The nights are chilly and an electric blanket is nice to warm your bed, the days are basically jeans, shirt and sweater with the sweater being discarded at about 10 a.m.
We're feeling pretty happy here at "Bowra" as Blue-winged Parrots have been positively identified during the last week. A pair of them, only about 200 metres from the house having a drink and then a bath,approximately 10 metres away from the observer.
Ian can't recall ever having seen them here before, but his uncle, who lives about 50 klms. North of us has seen them, and our daughter has seen them here but didn't know what they were[she doesn't own a bird book or binoculars].
We've also had a Peregrine Falcon positively identified, which brings our raptor identifications up to 18, and Cockatoos & Parrots up to 12. Not that we count the numbers of species here ourselves, but it does make it more interesting for visitors to know what they are likely to see.
I haven't seen the little Red-backed Kingfisher for about 2 months and I do miss seeing him every afternoon, which I did for about 6 months, same time, same post, and came in from the same direction and flew off in the opposite direction every day.
I think that we should have a Major Mitchell's Cockatoo on our-coat-of-arms, in place of, or as well as the Emu.
Regards,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490