birding-aus

South-East Australia RFI

To: <>
Subject: South-East Australia RFI
From: "Ed Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:57:56 +0100
Hello Birding-Aussies

I shall be in Aus from 26th July to 14th August with my wife, flying into
and out of Adelaide. I plan a large clockwise loop which should take in the
following areas in roughly this order.

Innes National Park
Port Gawler
Port Prime
Gluepot
Hattah-Kulkyne
Deniliquin (2 days with Phil Maher)
Canberra (but see below)
Chiltern State Forest
Werribee
Tasmania (Bruny Island)
Bool Lagoon

I have been to South-East Australia before and this will be my third trip to
Aus. Consequently, there are less than 40 new birds for me (excluding
pelagics). I would very much appreciate any help on the following species
and questions:

Blue-billed Duck                      Australasian Bittern
Square-tailed Kite                    Gray Falcon
Painted Buttonquail                   Little Buttonquail
Lewin's Rail                          Baillon's Crake
Spotless Crake                        Double-banded Plover
Hooded Plover                         Inland Dotterel
Fairy Tern                            Brush Bronzewing
Regent Parrot                         Blue-winged Parrot
Elegant Parrot                        Rock Parrot
Orange-bellied Parrot                 Scarlet-chested Parrot
Swift Parrot                          Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Glossy Black-Cockatoo                 Gang-gang Cockatoo
Purple-crowned Lorikeet               Tasmanian Masked-Owl
Red-browed Treecreeper                Mallee Emuwren
Shy Hylacola                          Slender-billed Thornbill
Black Honeyeater                      Purple-gaped Honeyeater
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater              White-fronted Honeteater
Painted Honeyeater                    Black-eared Miner
Pink Robin                            Red-lored Whistler
Western Whipbird

I appreciate there is a mix of simple and difficult birds here!

My route has been planned mainly with reference to Thomas & Thomas and
looking at Birding-Aus for the last few months.

Specific questions are as follows:

1) Access to Werribee. Is a key or permit still required and how can I go
about arranging access? Is anyone willing to show us around? I missed OBP
last time and don't want to do so again! Are they there this year?

2) Has anyone ever seen Red-lored whistler? What about this year?

3) My massive detour to Canberra is purely to see Red-browed treecreeper and
Gang-gang cockatoo. Can someone recommend a reliable site/sites for these
two which fits in better? Ideally somewhere
between Deniliquin and Melbourne.

4) Is the best place for Tas Masked-Owl still Pittwater Road? Has anyone
seen this species recently?

Please reply direct to me with up-to-date information on any of the above
species, especially if you feel they may be easier at sites not on my
itinerary. If possible, please include a phone number so I may contact you
in two weeks time when I get lost!

I am very grateful for any help you can give.

Regards

Ed Smith