birding-aus

1 July birding at Giru, NQ

To: <>
Subject: 1 July birding at Giru, NQ
From: "Norm Canton" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:26:29 +1000
On one of our regular Sunday morning jaunts with the large dog in the back of the stationwagon
we headed for Giru, a small sugar town half way between Townsville and Ayr in North Queensland.
We had passed through a week before when all was quiet but now the sugar mill is belching out
dark-laden vapours into the atmosphere, enhancing a landscape increasingly blackened by bushfires.

The best 20 minute 2ha monitoring  (aka smoko spot for the rest of the team) was at a lagoon
between Giru township and Cromarty boat ramp on the Haughton River, on a rising tide. (We wisely
avoided the boat ramp itself).

Birds observed at lagoon (in order of scribbling):

Grey Fantail
Sunbird
Large-billed Gerygone
Leaden Flycatcher
Little Kingfisher
Willy Wagtail
Bar Shouldered Dove
Whistling Kite
Black Kite
Dusky Honeyeater
Magpie Lark
Spectacled Monarch (heard only)

Other birds observed in vicinity of Giru:

Kestrel
Aust White Ibis
Black Necked Stork
Great Egret