birding-aus

Bird count in sw Victoria

Subject: Bird count in sw Victoria
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:46:56 +1000

G'day all

I managed to atlas a few birds on Sunday for the centenary of Birds Australia.
Instead of visiting some of my favourite spots I targetted a few squares near
Hamilton that have only been surveyed once or twice.  First I studied the maps
and saved a few likely spots in the GPS.  A couple of these turned out to be
treeless but I ended up atlassing in four locations (Murndal, Muntham, Coojar
and Gringegalgona) in three squares.  Because most were very much remnant
vegetation patches in cleared pasture country, bird species density was low 18,
20, 14 and 15 species respectively.  Total number of species was 37:

                             Murndal  Muntham Coojar Gringegalgona
Australian Shelduck                      x
Australian Wood Duck                     x
Pacific Black Duck                       x
Grey Teal                                x
Laughing Kookaburra                      x       x         x
Sulphur-crested Cocka           x                          x
Long-billed Corella             x
Crimson Rosella                                  x         x
Red-rumped Parrot               x        x
Masked Lapwing                           x
Brown Goshawk                   x
Brown Falcon                             x
White-faced Heron                        x
White-throated Treecreeper                                 x
Brown Treecreeper               x
Superb Fairy-wren               x        x       x
Yellow-faced Honeyeat           x                          x
White-plumed Honeyeat           x        x       x         x
White-naped Honeyeater                           x
New Holland Honeyeater                                     x
Red Wattlebird                  x                x         x
Spotted Pardalote                                x         x
Striated Pardalote              x        x       x         x
Striated Thornbill                               x         x
Grey Shrike-thrush              x        x       x         x
Little Raven                    x        x       x
Australian Magpie               x        x       x         x
Dusky Woodswallow               x        x
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike                x
Willie Wagtail                  x        x                 x
Grey Fantail                                     x
Restless Flycatcher                      x
Magpie-lark                                                x
Welcome Swallow                 x        x
Mistletoebird                   x
Red-browed Finch                                 x
European Goldfinch              x

If the table looks funny - reformat it with a monspace font e.g. Courier.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, 3300